Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Module 5: Static vs. Dynamic Tools


Online tools have been changing at a rapid rate and new tools are always being released. I feel as if I barely mastered PowerPoint and have just been introduced to the wonders and ability of BrainShark for creating presentations.  After analyzing static vs. dynamic tools, it seems as if the static tools are the ones that have been around the longest and the dynamic tools are constantly growing, developing and evolving. Granted, a lot of what makes a tools dynamic depends on the user. 
While I have the most experience using static tools, I have been learning and enjoying the dynamic ones. It feels like just a few weeks ago I started hearing the term Web 2.0 tools and I learned that there are now Web 3.0 tools as well! I started doing some research on all of the different tools that are available and am amazed at how much is out there and how little I knew about it all! There is a plethora of Web 2.0 tools out there! I really enjoyed the Introduction to Web 3.0 Tools written by Kecia Waddell and Prashanthi Selvanarayanan.  Web 3.0 is also known as the Semantic Web and is being developed to not just provide us with information but to help organize and evaluate the information for us.  Jason Ohler wrote about The Semantic Web in Education for Educause back in 2008. 
One of the most exciting tools that I just learned about is Duolingo.  It is a new tool in it's beta version at the moment that promises to help you learn a language while it quickly and accurately translates the web.  Luis von Ahn talks about his new project in a recent TedTalk called Massive-scale Online Collaboration.

4 comments:

  1. Lauramae, I see five specific tools and several generic categories on your map. Can you name specific tools in each category? I can't believe you found this -> http://clifmims.wetpaint.com/page/Web+3.0 !That is Dr. Mims class! Look closely at the contributors. Yes, as Joshua says, it is indeed a small world! I teased him about Sonic (Chbg didn't have one then) and he teased me about showing up in every class as a virtual participant. I still remember him saying,"and she is STILL giving you links...." he was funny. Still is. Follow him on Twitter @clifmims. Oh my, and an article by Jason! I enjoyed the fact that you linked to other articles....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lisa,
    I started first making the map with specific tools but felt like I was repeating a lot of what I did for my last graphic organizer, so I was trying to focus on the general type of tools. Sometimes I confuse myself and overanalyze the content!
    I never noticed the contributor section before. That is hilarious... I found you! =)
    And thanks for the info about Joshua. I am going to start following him now! =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Online tools seem to change on a weekly basis. I have just learned how to find tools through Web 2.0, and now I have to learn how to venture through Web 3.0. Sometimes it feels overwhelming, but it is for the success of our students.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post and I love your graphic organizer! You chosen a great format.

    ReplyDelete